Monday, April 8, 2013

My Staple Dress

So, I don't typically sew apparel because it's a pain to fit to myself, and my dressform doesn't really reflect MY shape. What looks good on the dummy looks awful on me! Every now and then, I try again, just to see how I do, but I'm just no good at fitting. So when I saw the pattern for the Staple Dress by April Rhodes, which doesn't have any fitting, I thought I'd give it a try. I even already had the elastic thread for the shirring. I didn't want to use any of my "good" fabric though, in case it came out looking horrible. So I tried it with some kind of silky polka dot fabric that someone gave me, and here's what I got!


I did the drop hem (you can't really tell because I took this pic on a tripod that was probably set up a little too high!), and I added some extra shirring because the single row wasn't enough. I think it could look a lot cuter if I liked the fabric more! So I might make another one. I might also do the next size down, this is a little baggy under the arms. What do you think?

I love the idea of the Go Make Shit blog and the Staple Dress challenge. I'm kind of trying to figure out a challenge to put on my own blog now! Hmmmm.....

Don't forget to come help me out and vote for me! Check out this blog entry to see how :)

No comments:

Post a Comment