And here's the final result. I am really pleased with how it turned out, my intersections looked a lot better than some of my previous projects. I guess that means I must be getting better!
This pattern is called Diamond Double. I picked it up at my LQS recently. My son had seen it once when I had to pop in for a cut of fabric, and asked me a couple weeks later if I'd make it for him :)
The center section is quilted with a loopy design, with some stars mixed in.
I debated the quilting on this one. I am relatively new and inexperienced with my long arm and free-motion quilting in general, and I always worry I'll "ruin" the project with bad quilting. But because this quilt was staying home, and I was pretty sure my son wasn't going to care what the quilting looked like as long as the quilt was warm and in the pattern he picked, I decided to be a little experimental. I got on pinterest and started poking around, and found a few nice simple designs I thought I could probably do in the blue border and the black corners, and modified another one to fill the inner black border. Then I filled in the wider black border with a simple winding line. I did a little doodling with these designs before I started actually stitching, to make sure I could do the transitions properly when I turned the corners. It's not perfect, but I'm really happy with it anyway. And my son LOVES it (and sure enough, doesn't care about the quilting hahaha!)